[TR] Shade tree Timing

Daniel Shockey magnut_dan at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 19 10:09:50 MST 2012

Has anyone mentioned the method of using a tach to set timing? I have used it
with unknown engines or to start up an engine, and also to compare to other
methods. You advance the (loose) distributor to get max rpm then retard the
distributor (turn back) until you get to 100 rpm less than maximum. This seems
to work really well for our motors.

The hill climb method is good, too. Gradually advance the timing and test it
up a good slope until you get some pinging. A dyno would be even better but
the hill is cheaper and more fun.

Our older engines were designed to run on very different gasoline, such as the
"pool" gas in England. The factory timing specs often reflect that condition
so so experimentation may be required. Raising the compression to take
advantage of higher octane changes things, too.

Cheers,

Dan Shockey

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/magnut_dan@hotmail.com