[TR] Condensor/capacitor question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 14 19:41:56 MST 2012

> My TR3A demonstrates a fault that could be as simple as a failing
> condensor.

Seems unlikely to me, from your description.  In my experience, they very
rarely recover after a failure.  And it wouldn't cool enough in just a few
minutes to make much difference.

It's also going to be very difficult to test, since it apparently works fine
except under very specific, poorly understood conditions.

Unfortunately, similar arguments apply to almost everything.  Chasing
intermittent problems is hard anyway, trying to say with certainty that
you've fixed the problem without being able to test is nearly impossible.

My advice, change the points, coil, condenser and rotor.  Then have a new
cap & wires on hand for spring.  If the new coil & ignition tune-up didn't
solve the problem, it only takes a minute to install the new cap & wires.

FWIW, my nearly new Lucas Sports coil went thermally intermittent, but it
would only work with the engine cold (and not very well even then).  Of
course it was a lot warmer here last summer, than it is there now.

-- Randall