[TR] [6pack] [stag] RE: Knock off torque

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 7 15:45:37 MST 2012

> Did you ever read the VTR discussion on wire wheel tightening?

Try this link instead:
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/wire-wheels-tightening.shtml

Yes, I've read it.  It's interesting and informative; and yet still only
opinions.  Since Standard-Triumph (later BL etc) were legally liable for
giving bad advice, I tend to give their instructions more weight.

I'll also mention that, in general, I am more interested in the latest
instructions rather than the earliest.  Experience gained over the years
frequently leads to better ways of doing things; and conditions in 1970 were
a lot closer to those today than the conditions in 1918.

As long as we are on the topic, I'll also emphasize the importance of
ensuring that the nuts that hold the splined adapter to the hub are
tightened to 65 ftlb.  As the VTR article notes, flexing on the LH side
tends to tighten LH thread nuts, but the adapter nuts are RH thread and so
tend to loosen.  Which is a rather unpleasant experience, to be avoided if
at all possible IMO.

-- Randall