[TR] Recommendation for an impact wrench

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 7 11:56:43 MST 2012

> What nuts would a person use an Impact Wrench
> on?
> How often does one use this tool when doing any or each time of repair
> work?

Almost always, it's a convenience rather than a necessity.  I use mine
mostly for removing (not installing) lug nuts; and on suspension work (eg
the 8 Nyloc nuts that hold the rear axle to the springs on a solid-axle TR).
I originally bought it when I owned a car (not a TR) where the front sway
bar was held to the subframe by 8 long bolts with interference threads (so
it took roughly 40 ftlb to turn the bolts their entire length).

It's also handy in situations where it's hard to hold the other side, like
tapered tie rod end joints and the big bolt that holds the front hub on the
engine.

-- Randall