[TR] 63 TR4

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 4 07:23:44 MST 2012

Oliver,

On 01/03/2012 11:59 PM, oliver wrote:
> 3 questions!
>
> 1.  the dpo painted things like the thermostat housing with red paint.  I've
> got most of it off using steel wool, brake fluid, and scrubbies.  bits remain
> here and there.  any suggestions?
I sandblasted with glass beads. Glass works wonders on those AL castings.
> 2.  the starter solenoid button does not work.  should I replace it or see if
> I can fix it?  real question - is this difficult to disassemble/fix?
I have never seen this happen. Have no idea if they come apart easily.
Better just to get a new one from the big 3.
> 3. finally - engine does turn over with the key (miracle given the numerous
> wiring splices, changes, and additions).  according to my multimeter, I have
> power (12 v +) to the coil, but no spark beyond that.  I hold the lead from
> the coil next to the valve cover, crank the engine, and get no spark.  bad
> coil likely?  I think I have another one (OK.  I do - its on another car) that
> I can swap.  or is there a more serious issue?
Do you have the coil connected correctly? With a negative ground the
white wire should connect to the + terminal and the other to the
distributor. Measure the resistance at the coil, should be 3 ohms. If
that is ok, take the distributor cap off and turn on the ignition and
manually open and close the points. There should be a spark when you
open the points. If not maybe the distributor is faulty. Check that
little wire that goes from the 12V connection at the back of the
distributor to the points, it is very fragile and could be broken.
> car is now negative ground, has a 6 fuse box, electric fan, electric fuel
> pump, backup lights, and probably other "customizations."  was in a garage for
> about 20 years.  pretty much nothing works except one of the backup lights
> stays on when the battery is connected!  and most of the colors don't match
> the wiring diagram.
Seems to be the wrong wiring harness. If the wires don't match the
colored version (Dan Masters) of the diagram then maybe it is time to
start with a new wiring harness. I have a used one but I am unsure if it
is any good and I don't know if it is a 4 or 4A.

Bob