[TR] TR3's at London Airport

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 26 14:59:08 MST 2012

The cars photographed at Heathrow are all part of the consignment for the 1957
event and identified as such by their special tax-free licence plates.
There
were a number of tours of this type undertaken by visiting US citizens ( a
total of four, I think) but they were abandoned in the late 1950's. Mainly,
this was because they required a phenomenal amount of organisation and
although the car users met many of the costs themselves, there were many
additional costs met by the company. These events were sponsored by and run by
the company, so it wasn't just a question of handing over the cars and sending
their owners off into the wide blue yonder. These events were essentially PR
exercises (Jaguar, Sunbeam, MG and AH did them too) and at the end of it all,
the manufacturers all agreed they could no longer afford to justify running
them. As far as this related to Standard-Triumph, the two following years ('58
and '59) were financial disasters so these trips were abandoned purely on cost
grounds. Two years later, with Leyland Motors running the show and imposing
many draconian (but necessary) cost
 controls, the idea died for ever.

Jonmac