[TR] Electric Fan wiring - TR3

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 23:42:15 MDT 2012

> I am looking at a manual  switch only.

You might want to reconsider that, Carl.  I used a manual switch for many
years, and I was forever forgetting to turn it off, or worse, turn it on.
Feels really stupid to be sitting at long traffic light and realize that the
smoke drifting through the intersection is actually steam from your
radiator.

Being too stubborn (& cheap) to buy any of the many automatic switches on
the market, I finally made my own little trigger circuit from scrap
electronic components and an old gauge sender.  Another of those "Why didn't
I do that sooner?" moments!

> C2/87 to Fan also indicator lamp (probably brown/white as well)

> ?? from ?? to Switch to W1/85 (when key on)  - what color? And where
> connected?

Start from the 'green' circuit (ie fused, controlled by ignition switch).
Or if you prefer, add another fuse fed from the white circuit.  Color is
kind of up to you, maybe green to the switch and then green/slate or
what-have-you to the relay.  I'm not slavish about having all the wire
colors unique (which is good, because all the wires in my original wiring
harness have faded to tan & black).

> Relays are my nemesis.   am I correct?

Yup, should work.

-- Randall