[TR] Adding a VSS pulse generator inline with speedometer cable

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:20:19 MDT 2012

Ok, so a little googleing shows that most of the GM VSS output a 0-5vdc
square wave at 4000 pulses per mile.  So at 60mph, you are going to get a
square wave with a 66.6hz frequency.  Assuming you are running about 3000
rpm on a 4cyl engine at the same speed, your tach pulse will be a 0-12v
irregular spike at about 200hz.  The two frequencies are close enough that
you might just have to reduce the voltage down to get the tach signal to
work.  I'd use a Schmidt trigger to reduce the signal to 5v and try it.
Once you get down to 5v, there should be no risk of damage to your cc
module.  If it doesn't work, then you will need to add a frequency devider
to requce it to a point that it operates.  Should only take 3 or for
components to build the circuit.  You could probably do the same thing with
just a transistor but you might not get a clean enough square wave to make
the CC module happy.