[TR] Adding a VSS pulse generator inline with speedometer cable

Brad Kahler bkahler1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 07:59:42 MDT 2012

Geo,

This one doesn't allow connecting to the ignition coil as a speed source
either.  It seems that all of them on the market now require a VSS signal,
pulse generator in the speedo cable or else magnets on the drive shaft.

Also the one you've listed is a vacuum unit and I prefer the electric servo
type.

I installed an SCS/Frigette cruise control with electric servo unit on my
Spitfire back in 1998 and it worked great.  Bud Rolofson then installed one
on his TR6 and it's been working great all these years.  Now that I want to
install one in my TR4 they don't make the style that will sense speed from
the ignition coil.

The two simplest options are a VSS in the speedometer cable or the magnets
on the drive shaft.  I haven't given up on the speedometer cable option
just yet, still a few more places to check with.  Barring that I'll
probably end up with the magnets on the drive shaft.

Thanks,

Brad