[TR] Synchros

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 6 12:24:00 MDT 2012

> For what is it worth, I know, not much.   Bad Syncros were the Main
> reason
> Herman stopped doing Trannies, and started inventing his conversion kit
> b&

Just to add what little I know: There was a largish run made of TR2-6
synchro rings that did not always work properly.  Lots of theories as to why
they frequently didn't work, but I don't recall there ever being a consensus
on what, exactly, was the problem with them.  I don't know who had them
made, but all of the usual suspects were apparently selling rings from the
same batch.  When Herman did a gearbox for me, he insisted that I find some
NOS synchro rings for him to use.

But, that was a long time ago.  Since then, a new run was made (commissioned
by TRF I believe, although it may have been a joint project among several
suppliers) and from what I've heard, the new rings work well.  I used
several of them in the last Stag gearbox I put together, and they worked
great for me.

But none of this really applies to the original question, as he was asking
about GT6 synchro rings and they do not interchange with the TR2-6 (and
Stag, etc) rings.

-- Randall