[TR] TR2/3 carb issue - fiber washers

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 1 13:30:30 MDT 2012

> I dressed the mating surfaces with a file, doubled up on the fiber
> washers, bu no luck. Still a prominent leak. I have used new fiber
> washers each time, but still no luck.

The book shows a washer "set" with 3 washers in the diagram.  I assume the
bottom washer is steel.  Are you installing all 3 washers?  Does the bolt
clamp down tight against the bowl (meaning you can't move the bowl after the
bolt is tight) ?

> Any substitute for the fiber washers?

The Burlen web site shows the later rubber grommets (for the H6) as fitting
the H4.  You may also need the steel flat washer that goes against the bolt
head.
http://goo.gl/Xrh46

They also show a plastic (poly perhaps) replacement for the rubber that
might work better.  (I think I'll order a few of those myself as I get tired
of replacing the rubber every few years.)

It might be worth removing the carb from the engine, and holding it up where
you can see clearly where the leak is.  It might not be the washer at all.
For example, there is a small plug in the bowl casting that might be
leaking, or there could be a crack somewhere that isn't visible otherwise.

I've tried various kinds of sealer on the rubber grommets over the years,
none of them seem to help for very long.  Classic Permatex is dissolved by
ethanol, so I wouldn't think it would be a good choice (but didn't actually
try it).  But it might be different with the fiber washers, so may be worth
a try if all else fails.

-- Randall