[TR] TR4 Oil Breather Pipe Oil Catch Tank

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Mon Apr 30 20:57:07 MDT 2012

If you run it to a catch tank, the catch tank needs to be vented to
allow the gases to escape still.  Seems obvious, but...  Also, if you
do any spirited driving you don't want the catch tank on the same
side of the engine as the breather - when you go quickly around right
hand turns, oil can run out the pipe into the catch tank.  I suppose
if you put enough bends in the pipe that wouldn't occur.  We seem to
put the catch tank where the battery normally goes, but that assumes
you've relocated the battery to the passenger floorboard or
trunk.  You want the hose going into the top of the catch tank.

Here's a couple of examples:
uncle jack's super clean installation:
http://www.tonydrews.com/catch_tank_002.jpg
My much grungier installation: