[TR] Bonderize?

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Mon Apr 30 04:55:17 MDT 2012

Without actually viewing it, I believe the finish your seeing is referred
to as Parkerized
Every camshaft that I have ever had new or reground has had this done to
it.  It looks and feels like very fine (1000 grit) sandpaper
You do not remove it, just clean and install with camshaft lube -

(Excerpt taken from the Wikipedia site)
Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of
protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to
wear through the application of an electrochemical phosphate conversion
coating. Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or
manganese phosphating process, and not to be an improved iron phosphating
process, although some use the term parkerizing as a generic term for
applying phosphating (or phosphatizing) coatings that does include the iron
phosphating process.