[TR] Spitfire Turn Signals

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Sun Apr 29 15:50:25 MDT 2012

On 4/29/2012 4:13 PM, Roger Elliott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am hoping someone can help me with a puzzle I am having about the
> turn signals not working.   I struggle to diagnose electrical problems.

All right, let's go!

Have you studied this?
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/wiring/78diagram.jpg

The purple wire is hot all the time.  This provides current to operate
the flashers independent of the ignition switch.  (So they'll work while
you walk to the gas station).

The green wire is hot with the ignition on - and all the current goes
through the ignition switch.  The voltage stabiliser is merely a stop on
the way - the current for the turn signal does not pass through it.

I've never taken one apart, but I /assume/ that the emergency flasher
switch connects the two sides together, and energises the flasher (via
the purple wire) so they blink.  When not flashing, it allows the
current from the green wire to pass through to the flasher, then on to
the turn signal switch and the lamps.

If I understand you correctly, you have power att eh green wire when the
ignition is on.  You should also then have power on the light green/gray
wire going to the flasher.  If not, the problem is probably internal to
your flasher switch.  You can get some contact cleaner and spray it
inside while operating the switch repeatedly - you may have to remove it
to do this.

Most of the problems I've seen with these switches (and dimmer
rheostats) is due to the fact that they are almost never used, and
develop a good coating of schmutz, which prevents them form making good
contact.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.