[TR] Power Steering fluid

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Apr 14 15:36:07 MDT 2012

> Started to pour fresh fluid into the reservoir (pump has
> Delco guts).  It filled right up and won't take any more.  I
> cranked the engine over for a bit, and I can see the pulley
> going around.  The fluid level does not go down at all.

I see you've got this solved; just wanted to point out that there is very
little difference between "full" and "too low to work".  If the pump is
sucking air, the system won't work even if the valve and rack are completely
full.

Also, as noted, even with the engine running, the normal fluid path is only
from the pump through the valve and back to the pump.  If there is air in
the rack, you have to turn the steering back and forth to work the air out
and fluid in.  It may take several slow strokes from lock to lock and back
again to get all the air out.

-- Randall