[TR] tap set recommendations

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Apr 12 22:24:03 MDT 2012

> I need a few taps for the Triumph. Should I buy a set or
> individual ones?
> Which brands are worth recommending?

Kind of depends on what you need to do.  If you just need to chase existing
threads, then Sears sells a very nice "rethreading" tap & die set for about
$50.  It covers common SAE sizes from 1/4 to 9/16 (both NF & NC) as well as
the most common metric sizes from 6mm to 12mm.  Plus there are an assortment
of "thread files" included, which can sometimes let you repair oddball
threads (if the pitch matches).  I particularly like it because the taps &
dies are designed to fit into the same space as an equivalent nut or bolt,
and be turned with ordinary hand tools (eg socket & ratchet) rather than
requiring the special tap and die wrenches that are so big.  But it won't
cut new threads.

If you need to cut new threads then it becomes a question of how many.
Carbon steel is cheapest, but least durable.  I have a Hanson carbon steel
tap & die set that I've owned for some 30 years and it's just starting to
wear out (except for the few taps I've broken of course).  I had to sharpen
up one of the taps the other day.  But if I were a production shop, I'd be
looking for something in at least HSS or perhaps carbide.  The better
materials start getting expensive enough that it might make more sense to
only buy the sizes you need.

My only other comment is that the tap & die set I got from HF was junk.

-- Randall