[TR] Greenish oil now 50weight?

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 30 12:18:37 MDT 2011

Yes, dear ol' Duckhams is still going. Alongside Castrol Classic 20/50, it's
the other Number 1 choice for the 'ancients.' Still retains the original
properties plus a few other modern ingredients to make it better than ever :)

Jonmac

<mmarr at notwires.com>
triumphs at autox.team.net
>Sent: Friday, 30 September 2011, 15:33
>Subject: Re:
[TR] Greenish oil now 50weight?

>Back in the day, Duckham's 20/50 was the
recommended multi-grade for most British cars.  I don't know if Duckham's
exists any more - Johnmac?

>Mike
>
>----- Original Message ----- From:
"Randall" <TR3driver at ca.rr.com>
September 27, 2011 8:58 AM
>Subject: Re: [TR] Greenish oil now 50weight?
>

>>> what does the list think of running Valvoline 50 weight oil?

Straight 50 weight is too thick when it's cold, IMO, particularly with a

freshly rebuilt motor.  Back when I lived in a cooler climate, I found that

the oil pressure would go too high (peg the gauge) even with 40 weight.

Pressure too high puts extra strain on the pump drive, and makes leaks

around the filter head more likely.  It's also apt to open the bypass valve,
>> and feed the engine with unfiltered oil.
>>
>> But 20W50 (which acts like
20 weight when it is cold) might be OK.

http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/macartney.john@yahoo.co.uk