[TR] greenish oil now ZDDP, dripping chambers

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:53:15 MDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Paul Dorsey <dorpaul at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> ...From here on out,
> I plan to use Valvoline 20w-50.  For summer driving, I may use 10w-30.

If anything, I'd think you'd want it the other way 'round (thicker stuff in
summer).

> ...I noticewd one or both carbs leaked fuel below the float chambers.  With
> small wrench, I didn't want to overtighten their attachment bolts. I wonder
> what the torque is for the float chamber attachment bolts for a SU HS6 is??
> But, they seemed snug.

Snug should be enough I think.  Perhaps a new gasket would help, a thin coat
of Hylomar on the gasket probably wouldn't hurt either.  If the mating
surfaces are clean & undamaged the gasket should work -- but you might also
take a look at the fuel level in there to be sure it isn't too high.  You
can lift the float out with a bit of 'L' shaped wire and give it a shake --
sometimes they get some fuel in them from a pinhole leak and that can cause
them to not function properly.

Geo