[TR] Greenish oil now 50weight?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 07:58:01 MDT 2011

> what does the list think of running Valvoline 50 weight oil?

Straight 50 weight is too thick when it's cold, IMO, particularly with a
freshly rebuilt motor.  Back when I lived in a cooler climate, I found that
the oil pressure would go too high (peg the gauge) even with 40 weight.
Pressure too high puts extra strain on the pump drive, and makes leaks
around the filter head more likely.  It's also apt to open the bypass valve,
and feed the engine with unfiltered oil.

But 20W50 (which acts like 20 weight when it is cold) might be OK.

-- Randall