[TR] Crankshaft

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 02:45:56 MDT 2011

Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011
From: diggle at clear.net.nz
Subject: [TR] Crankshaft

had a motor that I donated to another TR owner. The motor
had the oil dipstick
in the wrong position so I assume that
it was a Vanguard motor. I kept the
crankshaft but am not
sure if the crankshaft was out of that motor or not. as
it
was separated from the motor.

I have googled cranks and TR cranks were
cross drilled where
as Vanguard ones were not.

How do I tell what the crank
is out of?

Are there any photos on the web showing the differences?

Jim and
the soon to be engineless TR4.
Hi
Jim!
I think 'cross drill' means that the oil channels of the crank had
drilled passages from the Main Bearings position to the Connecting Rod
Bearings position. There where 'set screws' with allen keyinserts in these so
they could be removed to clean these passages, in mine. Check to see if you
have them. My crank is out of a TR4A car.
-Cosmo Kramer