[TR] TR3 Clutch recommendations

bill_beecher at flash.net bill_beecher at flash.net
Wed Sep 21 17:20:26 MDT 2011

Early this year the clutch was slipping ever so slightly on hard
acceleration after the 1st-to-2nd shift.  I took it to the local
well-respected British repair guru, he flushed and bled the master & slave
system, said there was goop in the line and it was not releasing as quickly
as it should.  Well, now I can break loose under a hard pedal without
shifting and I think I may have to limp through the rest of the season and
add this to my winter project list.

A little history: when we re-assembled the car three years I reviewed the
clutch and it looked almost new under visual inspection, the fingers on the
pressure plate seemed to be in equally good order and of consistent tension.
So, now here I am 2700 mile later thinking I need to pull the tranny and
replace the clutch components.

I checked the free-play at the slave cylinder rod, about 1/2".  Is there
anything else I can look at to be sure before tearing into it?

What are the recommendations for replacements?  I am not a competition
driver, just around town and short trips.  Looks like the going price is
about $250 for the three components.

TIA,
Bill

Bill Beecher