[TR] Spifire MkI & MkII Caliper Pistons

Wayne Lee wayne at motorcarriage.com
Wed Sep 21 14:33:16 MDT 2011

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info, I was aware the Pistons are difficult to find. The
problem is they are not going on a Spitfire. They are going to go no My
Vintage Formula Ford Race Car a 1971 March 719. I don't own any other Spits
than the one I will be parting out since selling it whole isn't working out.

My March presently has Girling LF14's all around and I'd like to lighten up
the rear with the smaller Calipers and they were a popular Caliper on Lotus'

And Merlyn FF's in the day. Do you know how much heavier the later Spit
Caliper is than the 12SP? Also the Piston dia.? The 12SP's had the 1 11/16"
dia. Pistons. The same 3.25" Mounting holes though correct? I found someone
who can supply the Pistons in Stainless custom for $30.00 each, but I'll
make sure the well is dry first. What is the Girling designation for the
later Spit Caliper ie: 14SP or whatever?

Cheers,
Wayne