[TR] TR250 Diff

David Brister david.brister at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 21 12:11:34 MDT 2011

A couple of years ago my diff's clonking and leaking reached a point where
could stand it no more.. I acquired a used diff through the TR Register
and put it in place. It was'nt wonderful but it worked so I decided to
have
a go at rebuilding the original diff myself. I followed the instructions
in
the Triumph works manual and Haynes as close as I possibly could. Got
advice
from Randall as well!  I found  all the parts I might need were still
available. If I found for example I needed a shim of x thou I had it sent.
Likewise all the gaskets. Anyway when it was finished I  put it back and
was
absolutely astonished to find I had a clonk free TR and a silent diff
except
at 40-41 mph when youi could just hear a tiny tiny whine. No rear axle
leaks
either. Took about 3 or 4 months of leisurely work.

So my suggestion is be bloody bold and resolute and have a go yourself. It
actually is'nt as daunting as the manuals make it seem and you don't need
any special tools beyond an iron rod.

YMMV, naturally,

David Brister CTC 77785  O