[TR] To restore or not restore, that is the question

XJ6SOVEREIGN at aol.com XJ6SOVEREIGN at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 16:31:27 MDT 2011

Hello,
I haven't been on here in a  while. I have a 54 TR2 (rhd) that I  bought
around 8 years ago. The car needs a total restoration. The sheet metal  work
was started a few years ago but then stopped, new floor pans, inner and
outer rockers, etc. were replaced. I really can't afford a professional
restoration on it and even if I could that cost would far outweigh the value. I
guess my question is if I do a lot of the work myself excluding body and
paint(which I know is 50-60% of the restoration cost) what's a realistic cost?
I'm guessing around 15K and up, so I'm not sure if I should sell it or try
and restore it to the best on my abilities. I already spent around $3,000 in
 parts for it 8 years ago and another $3,000. in labor for the sheet metal
work that was done so far. So I have around $7,800. already in the car, and
 the motors not correct I think it's from a Vanguard. The engine has a
single Solex carburetor on it. The car originally was exported to  Singapore
and was there until the late 70's until it was shipped to Texas, and  sat and
it was never titled in the U.S., so it would be a cool car to  restore with
it's history.
Any advice or comments are appreciated.
Joe