[TR] car show, sort of

Philip Barnes pebarnes71 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 05:27:58 MDT 2011

I'm sure some of you have seen the t-shirt "I drove my British car to the
trailer show". (An obvious dig at trailer queens.) Well, this weekend we
went to a trailer show. Sponsored by the Tin Can Tourists (
www.tincantourists.com), it was a display of vintage travel trailers held at
Sampson State Park on the east side of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes of
New York.

It was just like a car show. There were "trailer queens" in the form of
perfect Airstreams from the '50s, "drivers" that someone found in a salvage
yard and cleaned up enough to be liveable, and "rolling restorations"; an
Airstream that a gal towed in that had been gutted. She was sleeping on the
floor in a sleeping bag. Probably 30 trailers or so, all brought in by
enthusiasts, some of whom owned more than one trailer. Why does this sound
familiar? Some folks went as far as to tow their trailer with a vintage car
or truck.

Too bad I couldn't tow a trailer with the '6. But a '59 Chevy wagon with
cleaned up Shasta? Hmmm...

--Phil Barnes
--Middlebury Center, PA
--'71 TR6 since 1977