[TR] 1972 Triumph TR6 Clutch Master cylinder leaking - Followup installation question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 18 18:07:08 MDT 2011

> Since all the clutch master cylinders are the same except for
> the bore being .7 or .75, could anyone explain why this would
> happen?  And, most importantly, is there any issue with
> leaving the slave attached to the top hole?

Going to the top hole gives you a bit more travel, at the expense of higher
pedal effort.  Sounds like it was just enough extra to get you what you
needed.

It's my believe that having it in the top hole will accelerate wear of the
slave cylinder, because having the pushrod at an angle puts side force on
the piston.  But I don't know how much worse it would be, perhaps not enough
to worry about.

The Stag had a similar problem, which I solved (temporarily) by reaming the
holes and installing an over size pin in the pivot between the pedal and the
MC pushrod.  The original holes were worn oblong, so there wasn't enough
travel even with a new clevis pin.

Using one of the braided SS lines from MC to slave would help, too.  The
Teflon inner tube expands less under pressure than the original line.

-- Randall