[TR] 1972 Triumph TR6 Clutch Master cylinder leaking - Followup installation question

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Sun Sep 18 12:33:21 MDT 2011

To the list,

Installed the new clutch master cylinder purchased from a local British car shop.  They will only use TRW.

My friend (who owns a Jag) came over after I had it installed to help me bleed.  That got taken care of, no problem.

However, when I went to bring the car off of the ramps, I could not even get it into gear.  So, we did the usual, we bled again and did exactly how the book describes it, we pumped and shut the bleeder when the pedal was depressed.

Still, could not get it into gear,  My Jag friend said there must be an adjustment, I advised him that originally there was not.  However, you have the three holes where the lever can be placed to have the slave move the arm for the gear box.  It was in the middle as is specified.

So, we tried the bottom hole, same thing.  We then placed it in the top hole, in gear no problem, took a test drive, no problem.

Since all the clutch master cylinders are the same except for the bore being .7 or .75, could anyone explain why this would happen?  And, most importantly, is there any issue with leaving the slave attached to the top hole?

Just for reference, when I bought the TR from the original owner 6 years ago, when it was inspected at the local British car shop, they had stated that some work had been done on the fork and that the clutch would need to be replaced at some point.  Well, the original is still in there with no issues.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Craig
1972 Triumph TR6
Vienna, VA