[TR] 65 mph

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Fri Sep 16 08:15:47 MDT 2011

> From: "oliver" <sumton at sbcglobal.net>

> I have a very modified TR6. but above 90 I get a little scared. this
> thing
> is 40 years old. and open. I did 140 in a relatively new enclosed car
> with
> crumple zones and airbags etc. but this little car . . .

I only go fast where it's safe.  On a couple of long airport runs (totally legal organized events with a radar gun at the finish line) I easily got the stock TR4 (with soft hood erected!) to 100 MPH, where I lifted for the factory redline.  Car was stable and not scary.  I'm sure the ADDCO front sway bar helped with this.

The airport run we have around here is shorter, and I never got other cars out on the longer ones.
Stock 1994 Miata 87 MPH
1979 Caterham Super Seven 92 MPH
2005 Lotus Elise 108 MPH
1965 Griffith 200 106 MPH (less-than-graceful shifting, love to have another shot some day)

I'm sure I had the Elise faster than 108 at a track day in West Virginia, but timing and speed checking was prohibited at the event.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier