[TR] TR3A Engine Removal

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Thu Sep 15 08:22:51 MDT 2011

Terry,
Removal of the fenders(wings) not necessary, just cover them with a good
blanket so they don't get damaged while you are working on the car.

It is all pretty straightforward once you get started.  First drain all your
fluids, then trans tunnel, driveshaft, front valance, radiator, frame
crossmember, grounding strap, carbs & linkage, exhaust, wiring and fuel
lines.  I'm sure I have missed something but it will be apparent to you once
you get started.  I did it all in about 5 hours the first time by my self.

One thing I learned was it helps to have the car about 10" off the ground so
you can get a good tilt as you are coming out and going in, this helps to
avoid the binding point at the firewall and the accelerator linkage.   One
thing I learned was that the optional alloy oil pan creates a problem too as
far as smooth removal so if you have one I would recommend removing it first
(I will next time).

Enjoy,
Bill

Bill Beecher