[TR] TR4A - Hydraulic Push Rod Advice

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Thu Sep 1 17:03:31 MDT 2011

All,

I need some advice on an annoying issue with the TR4A.
The push-rod for the brake master is longer than the push-rod for the clutch.
As a result, the brake pedal is considerably further away from the floor than
the clutch and gas pedals, which are basically level.
Seems like I should be able to replace the brake push-rod with a shorter
length (to match the clutch) and be on my merry way.

However, going to shorter push-rod means a correspondently shortened "stroke"
for the brake cylinder. (Length from all-the-way out to all-the-way in, will
be less)
So, this seems like it would have to compress more fluid per unit length, thus
making the pedal harder to push-in, but I would get more stopping power per
unit length.

Out side of these items, does it matter for other reasons if I go to a shorter
push-rod for the brake cylinder?
Has anyone had this issue?  If so, how did you solve it?

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins
1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO