[TR] 1972 Triumph TR6 spark plug question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Oct 28 21:47:11 MDT 2011

> Is it possible for an engine to run too cold?  I had never
> thought this was a concern.

IMO, yes.  If they run cold all the time, they burn more fuel and wear out
quicker.  Replace the thermostat with a 180F unit (or possibly the gauge is
wrong).

> On the topic of plugs, if it is an issue, should I get the
> colder set or the hotter set, I was never clear after reading
> the archives on which way to go.

Plug temperature has nothing to do with coolant temperature.  Unless the
plug tip indicates it is getting too hot (or not hot enough), leave the
plugs alone.  The thermostat is what controls coolant temperature
(hopefully).

-- Randall