[TR] TR4A - Gearbox Filter

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 22 21:22:00 MDT 2011

Hi Guy,

If memory serves, A-Type doesn't have a filter, per se... But there are a
bunch of magnet washers and, I think, a permanent mesh "basket" under the
large brass or bronze drain nut on the bottom. It's a good idea to
periodically clean these out, but it's not like an internal combustion engine
where a lot of dirt is constantly contaminating the oil and needs to be
filtered and changed frequently.

You have to be a bit careful removing that brass or bronze nut.  There are a
couple types of drain nuts... I've seen hex, which you have to take care to
have a good fitting wrench and not round off the corners. However most seem to
be round with six notches, that require a special tool. Tempting as it might
be, do not try to drive this type of nut around with a hammer and drift...
that will  break off the flange. Get or make a tool to fit it. You can see an
example of the tool in a photo toward the end of this article: But once it's
out you'll see the filter and probably three to six magnetic washers.

Alan Myers
San Jose, California
'62 TR4 CT17602L(O)
amfoto1 at aol.com