[TR] Wet liners and pumps

diggle at clear.net.nz diggle at clear.net.nz
Sat Oct 15 01:13:20 MDT 2011

I took the engine out to detail the engine bay, so I had my
engines checked over whilst it was out.
I was hoping for an very little wear as it had been recond
20,000 mile ago (30years ago).
The liners, pistons, rings and oil pump were were supposedly
replaced.
I am lucky that my friend reconditions engines for a living.
I took the engine apart in his workshop and found a broken
tensioner and sloppy timing chain, the crankshaft and
bearings were excellent condition and the liner bores looked
to also be in pristine condition before removel.
When we removed the pistons we found that the rings had not
been gapped properly resulting in one broken ring and ring
flutter on all the top compression rings.
My friend thinks that in fact the oil pump was not replaced
but maybe just overhauled as it is in poor condition.
Also he thinks that the liners were not replaced but bored
out to 87mm with new pistons  and rings, the proof was the
corrosion on the liners.
Two questions: how do I check how much metal is left on the
liners in the pitted areas.
How confident are you about the new pumps and or repair kits
sold by Moss and TRF.

Any help appreciated and thankyou for past info.

Jim and his 1962 TR4