[TR] water wetter

Keith Stewart keithstewart at execulink.com
Tue Nov 29 13:51:15 MST 2011

On 2011-11-29, at 2:00 PM, Dave1massey at cs.com wrote:

> I'm trying to think how water wetter will reduce coolant temperatures.  I
> suppose it improves heat transfer from the coolant to the radiator tubes but
> won't it also improve heat transfer from the head and cylinder walls to the
> coolant also?  That being the case it will improve the cooling of the head
> and cylinder walls but that isn't what is indicated by the temperature
gauge.
> So maybe there is a benefit that just doesn't show up in the gauge
> reading.
>
> Or not.
ISTR the claims for water wetter are to aid in the transfer of heat. I doubt
it ever could show up as the coolant measuring a lower temperature because
that is managed by the thermostat. The t-stat is going to open at 160, 180,
185 or whatever temperature yours is set for, regardless. So if the water
wetter actually worked and sucked that heat out of the engine components
faster, all that would happen is the t-stat would open sooner and allow the
coolant to circulate through the rad. Again, if it is doing it's job, the heat
would have to be given up more readily to the fins in the rad. Does that make
sense?

In order to gauge whether the water wetter was having an impact, wouldn't you
have to actually measure the engine temps (not the coolant temps)?

Keith R. Stewart
75 Camden Road
London, Ontario
N5X 2K2