[TR] water wetter

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Nov 29 06:13:08 MST 2011

In a message dated 11/29/2011 6:47:09 AM Central Standard Time,
KingsCreekTrees at aol.com writes:
> Many have extolled the virtues of water wetter, but my experience is that
>
> it was totally ineffective when I used it in my TR3A. Having said that, if
>
> there  was something not quite right with the cooling system that was
> causing
> it to run  hot, then perhaps I was asking too much of the water wetter. I
> have since  flushed the system and done some cooling system upgrades,
> which
> have cured my  hot running problems. However, I can say for certain that
> the
> water wetter did  not reduce the temperature of the coolant.

I'm trying to think how water wetter will reduce coolant temperatures.  I
suppose it improves heat transfer from the coolant to the radiator tubes but
won't it also improve heat transfer from the head and cylinder walls to the
coolant also?  That being the case it will improve the cooling of the head
and cylinder walls but that isn't what is indicated by the temperature gauge.
 So maybe there is a benefit that just doesn't show up in the gauge
reading.

Or not.

I've also been told that antifreeze has additives with the same properties
so adding water wetter to a water/antifreeze mixture is redundant.  Racers
use water wetter because they run straight water - track regulations.

But I agree, there is no snake oil alternative to a healthy cooling system.

Dave