[TR] Skirted thermostats

Hdefer tr3 at roadrunner.com
Sat Nov 26 09:37:34 MST 2011

> The skirt does nothing until the thermostat opens, and then it only
> improves
> cooling (if in fact it does anything at all).

The way I understand it, the manufacturer intended the skirt to
function as a diverter valve, i.e.:
1     prior to the thermostat opening, the coolant by-passes the
radiator such that it heats up quickly, but still  provide sufficient
flow to prevent harmful hotspot heating up of the engine.
  2	When the thermostat starts opening, more coolant is diverted to
the radiator until (nearly all) the coolant passes through the radiator.

My concern is, that merely permanently restricting the bypass flow is
likely to be more harmful in the long run during cold winters while
the thermostat is closed for longer periods and then still reduces the
flow through the radiator during our hot summers which so easily
causes overheating in those marginal radiators.
Hans.