[TR] TR3 Turn Signal Gremlin

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 22 12:26:28 MST 2011

> Now the right
> turn signal works fine but the left makes the buzzer beep
> once and then gives me
> a weak and a little rapid turn signal without the buzzer.

Something on the left side is reducing current flow.  Could be almost
anywhere, but the ground for the rear lamp would be a good place to start
looking.  The factory ground through the mounting screws and speed nuts is
far from secure, IMO, so I actually added a ground harness for all the rear
lamps.

Corrosion in sockets is another possibility.  I find that coating them with
Vaseline or lithium grease helps reduce corrosion (but makes something of a
mess when changing bulbs).

ISTR Jonmac eventually isolated a similar problem on Flossie to a wire that
was corroded under it's insulation.

As a troubleshooting technique, I suggest temporarily installing a jumper
across the flasher terminals, so the lamps light steadily.  Then you can
more easily use a voltmeter to check the voltage at various points, like the
metal part of the rear lamp holder, and the metal part of the bulb, while
the bulb is lit.  It also makes it much easier to see that a particular bulb
is dimmer than it should be; perhaps comparing left to right.

-- Randall