[TR] Transmission re-build/service

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Nov 14 10:06:10 MST 2011

> I'm
> thinking the aluminum ones the racers use are too light, but
> check with Joe.

I think Joe's main objection is that they (the alloy flywheels) are
relatively fragile and prone to fail under racing conditions.  At any rate,
I've been running one on the street for several years now, and I really like
it.  I moved it from the wrecked 3A to the 'new' TR3 even though I've got
one of Joe's billet steel ones on the shelf.

One thing worth noting, both the billet steel flywheels that Joe sells, and
the alloy Fidanza wheel only come configured for the later starter.  If you
have an early (pre-TS50000) gearbox, you'll need one of the "high tech"
starters, as the later Lucas starter won't fit into the early
bellhousing/gearbox.

They also come drilled for the lighter TR4A clutch.  If you want to keep the
heavier TR3 clutch, you'll need to get the flywheel drilled and tapped to
match.  If you do go with the 4A clutch (as I did), be sure to trim off the
nose of the gearbox as otherwise the clutch fingers will dig into it when
you press the pedal.

The lighter flywheel did take a bit of getting used to, especially with the
rather tired engine that was in the TR3A.  But for whatever reason, the
engine in the TR3 seems to have more grunt at very low rpm and so the
lightweight flywheel is less of a problem.  Actually, combined with the 4.10
gears (that were on the car when I got it), my biggest problem was a
tendency to spin the rear tires on takeoff <G>

-- Randall