[TR] Transmission re-build/service

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Nov 14 05:20:37 MST 2011

In a message dated 11/13/2011 7:46:24 PM Central Standard Time,
TR3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> >about the only 'problem'
> >I seem to have
> >is downshifting from 4th to 3rd while at speed,
>
> Could be a worn synchro, but it's unusual (in my limited experience) for
> the
> 4th gear synchro to wear out first.  I would also check the force required
> to move the shift ring on the hub (which is how much force gets applied to
> the synchro ring during shifting), and for wear in the cone on the input
> shaft (where the friction surface of the synchro ring rides).

Which is what happened to my TR3 transmission.  But it happened so quickly
I think there was something caught in the ring causing it to drag and
overheat. Probably a silicone dingleberry as the PO used a lot of silicone gasket
sealer on it.  That is what precipitated the transmission rebuild and
subsequently the frame-off restoration.

I think I need counseling.

But a 4th to 3rd downshift problem wouldn't be a fourth gear synchro but a
third gear synchro failure.

Dave