[TR] Mystery Smoke

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 13 19:00:48 MST 2011

After a 120 mile run trip drive today, my 59 TR3A developed a most confusing
issue.

A club member following behind was engulfed in a cloud of smoke when returning
on this 60 mile run. This went on for about 20 miles where at times I could
not see his Mini.

On the first leg of the trip, the car started running rough but would get to
speed easily. When parked (at a show) and opening the bonnet, I found the
intake and carbs coated in water droplets. Completely coated. This has
happened before but no ones has a clue as to the cause including the top LBC
mechanics in the area.

On the way home is when the major smoking issued occurred. I needed to keep
the car at low RPM's to minimize the smoke screen. The smoke appeared to be
white as in a steam cloud. What one would expect from a blown head gasket.
After the trip, I spoke with my club member who was behind me for 60 miles.
Even engulfed in smoke, his car had no visible oil coating of any kind....not
on his car or windscreen. There was also no smell of smoke or smell of any
kind.

The oil in the sump is clear and clean. No visible water droplets or milky
look. Water level in the radiator is about 1" from the cap. There is water in
the neck of the radiator. The engine breather pipe is dripping oil which never
occurred before. The valve cover cap also showing smoke exiting, which never
occurred before. Carbs and intake covered in water droplets. Once before I
pulled the air cleaners and the inside of the carbs had the same water
droplets. That time the car stalled from the water entering the engine. These
droplets are definitely from condensation. Oil level consumption in 120 miles
of 60-70 mph driving about 1/8 of a quart of oil. Oil pressure strong at about
55 lbs. Water temp below 180. Car ran rough at idle as one would expect from a
bad tank of gas.....water in the gas type of running.

So before doing the usual tests next weekend...........any ideas or
suggestions..

Thanks in advance.

Alex Manzo
59 TR3A