[TR] Handbrake warning light

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Nov 7 06:13:33 MST 2011

In a message dated 11/6/2011 10:08:20 PM Central Standard Time,
TR3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> The TR3 handbrake lever is quite a bit different than the later cars; it
> actually mounts to the frame under the car and protrudes up through the
> floor boards.  The bottom of it does not move very far, which was why I
> was
> thinking a snap-action microswitch switch might be a better choice.  And
> it
> is only a few inches from the road, hence the need for extra protection
> from
> the elements.  Stop light switches are generally not sealed either.
>
> But I am probably over-engineering, as usual.

Naaa.  Over-engineering would be putting a strain gauge in the parking
brake cable and building an electronic circuit to indicate when it is applying
tension on the shoes.

And once you do that you may as well put some speed sensors on there and an
ignition kill switch such that if you attempt to drive off with the brake
set it will kill the engine.

I'd be happy to develop a prototype if anyone is interested and has $15,000
to spare.

Dave