[TR] Alternatives to cluster shaft needle bearings?

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Tue May 24 22:26:42 MDT 2011

I recently acquired a TR4 speed transmission with A-type overdrive
(CT15498). I also got a non overdrive transmission (CT35160) along with it.

I have now got the overdrive transmission disassembled on the work
bench. The overdrive sun gear thrust washer was in pieces but otherwise
the overdrive is in pretty good shape :-). On the other hand, the needle
bearings on the first gear end of the cluster shaft came out in little
bits and pieces. Probably the reason that this transmission was removed.
No broken or chipped gear teeth so most of it looks salvageable.  I
haven't looked at the race inside of the cluster gear yet but have a
hunch that it will need replacing along with the shaft. The other
transmission may be a good donor.

>From what I have read, the needle bearings are the weak point in these.
Have any of you gone the route of bushings rather than needles? Bob
Schaller mentions this in his book "More BS about TR's". Are there other
alternatives that I should look at or just put the standard caged
bearings back in it?

I am really looking forwards to swapping out my non-overdrive early TR3
transmission with this!

Thanks,

Mike
TS11544L