[TR] Steps in doing a tune up

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Mon May 2 19:52:05 MDT 2011

On 5/2/11, Cosmo Kramer <tr4a2712 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to know, from when the engine is cold to when the engine is
> warmed up, the procedure to the last step.

My sequence (others may differ):

Remove & clean the plugs

Adjust the valve lash/gap

Inspect & Set the points gap (this must be done before the next step)

Set the timing (static, to be adjusted later on the road)

Install the plugs

Sync the carbs

-- All of the above can be done with a cold engine, as you sync the
carbs the engine has a chance to warm up

Adjust the mixture, mostly by ear though I have a colortune

Drive, evaluate mixture (plug color) and timing (listen for pinging).

Of course throughout you are inspecting plug wires, connections,
rotor, cap etc to confirm all looks well.

Geo