[TR] silicon or regular brake fluic

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Mar 31 05:05:16 MST 2011

In a message dated 3/30/2011 8:09:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
nafzigerg at yahoo.com writes:
> I'll have a completely new brake system when I'm finally finished with
> the
> restoration.  Are silicon people happy with that choice?  I've heard
> drawbacks
> of it being thinner, making leaks more likely.
>
> I'd love the idea of it not harming paint though.
>
> Just wondering

If your braking system is new stem to stern I recommend DOT5 (silicone).  I
redid my TR6 back in 1996 and put in silicone at that time.  This winter I
had to actually bleed the system for the first time.  Then a couple weeks
later I had to do it again.  The reason for the second bleeding was I forgot
to tighten up the RF bleeder. (DOH!)

My brakes have been trouble free and trouble free brakes are kind of
important.

Dave