[TR] Solenoid?

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 06:18:42 MST 2011

Woke up the TR3A from it's winter nap. Started fine.

Second time, though, I got the "click of the dead."  Sometimes not even the click.  Starter wouldn't turn over.  Keying the ignition switch on sometimes gave power, sometimes gave much reduced power (as if there was a nearly complete short to ground)such that fuel pump didn't get enough juice.  With the key on, the solenoid button gives the symptoms as pushing the starter button.

So, am suspecting the solenoid or the switch.

I have one of the expensive gear-reduction starters that's only a few years old.  I use the solenoid under the hood as opposed to the one on the starter, though.  ISTR that one can rewire to use the one on the starter.  I'll try that and see if it fixes anything, assuming I can find in archives how it's done.

Still and all, yesterday was about washing.  Today is about polishing and waxing.  Soon the ice will be off the driveway and I can get it out to the pavement!

Spring happens once a year, it just takes two years for it to get here.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A TS 58667
New Hampshire