[TR] (TR) Rear Shocks

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sat Mar 19 06:33:49 MST 2011

List,
One thing I noticed while restoring my TR4A IRS was that the lever arm shock actually limits the downward travel of the swing arm. I am not sure if everyone realizes this. The way I realized this was during my rear suspension assemlby, I had installed the spring first, then the half shaft. When I released the spring compressor on the rear spring, the half shaft locked up. Upon closer inspection, the universal joints were locked up due to the excessive angle of the half shaft. So, I installed the lever arm shock and the universal joints could now rotate smoothly.
My point is anyone considering this conversion needs to figure out a way to limit the downward travel of the swing arm as part of the upgrade. I suspect that the damage people see after this upgrade is the bottoming out of the swing arm being absorbed by the upper cross member. I think the real danger is what is happening to the universal joints. If you go thru a deep enough pot hole or what ever, the damage could be significant.
I think that anyone who has installed tube rear shocks should lift the rear of their car off the ground and try rotating the rear wheels. If you feel ANY resistance, don't drive the car until you figure out a way to limit that downward swing arm travel.
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a