[TR] TR6 Rear Shock Conversions

Bob Danielson 75tr6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Fri Mar 18 16:04:22 MST 2011

This is always a hotly discussed conversion over in the 6-Pack Forum because
some of the conversions use the old lever shock mounts as the mounting
point. If the old lever mount isn't in good shape, the conversion stresses
it and it cracks or breaks. I installed the Blind Moose kit which was
created by Herman Van den Akker (Toyota 5 speed fame) and uses the lever
mounting point. As soon as his auto cross buddies installed them the lever
mounts cracked so Herman came up with a brace which fixed the problem.
Herman ended up giving the design to Blind Moose Fabrication who
periodically does a production run  BUT...........they leave the additional
brace up to the car owner to add. I know guys who have driven around without
the brace with no problems and others who have broken the lever shock mount.
Personally I wouldn't install them without the brace and it's tough to
determine the condition of the old mount by just looking at
it...........sort of like a cracked diff mount. If you go to my site you'll
see the old Moss conversion that served me well for 11 years as well as the
Blind Moose conversion with instructions for making the brace.
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/BlindMoose.htm

As an aside.........today you can get the lever shocks rebuilt with various
upgrades. If that was around 13 years ago when I got my car I may have gone
the upgraded route.

Bob

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org