[TR] Fred Thomas Decal

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 16:20:35 MST 2011

Glake Discher wrote:

Fred did love the VTR and it was he in fact who made the presentation on John
Macartney's behalf to the board that VTR jump in as one of the early supporters
of John's charity drive across the US and Canada in a Stag.

Blake, just for the record (as I understand things) and I stand accused if seen
to be splitting hairs, but ....

Fred made the presentation to the VTR board on his behalf - and not mine. Fred
and I had several very long trans-Atlantic calls in 2006/2007 - all at Fred's
cost and discussing the options open to me to devise the Charity Drive. It was
he who *asked* me if I minded if he could approach VTR? At no time did I ever
ask or suggest he did that and I was very touched and supremely grateful to him
by that offer and his later action. Be in no doubt, many of the things that took
place during the summer of 2009 came from Fred's very fertile mind and his
continuing support, even though I knew that he was starting to be far from well.
Fred played an enormous and very welcome part in the very early planning stages
of that event and I will never forget his contribution.

John Macartney