[TR] For sale - CA black license plates - unissued/unused

Darrell Walker darrellw at ipns.com
Thu Mar 10 09:53:43 MST 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 8:18 AM, pethier at comcast.net wrote:

>> I have a pair of CA black license plates for sale.
> [...]
>> I'm asking $300 for the pair.  Photos available on request.
>
> Wow.  What is it with California black plates?  The guys at bringatrailer.com are always going on and on about them.
>
> I've been involved in the trading of 1962 Texas black plates at about a tenth the price.

Hi Phil,

I think there are two factors at work.

If you are buying a car with them, it probably means that it has lived its life in California, and probably will be much less rusty than some other areas of the country.  I realize there are other states where cars don't rust away, but California would dominate in terms of numbers.

The other factor is that many folks don't like the look of the modern reflector plates on a classic car.

I was surprised to see what fairly poor examples of these plates were going for.  I had these filed away, but at the prices they are going for, I'd be willing to part with them.

-Darrell