[TR] TR3 oil cooler

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Thu Jun 30 18:36:34 MDT 2011

     I put in an oil cooler awhile back. I bought the kind that goes between the filter head and the block. I bought it because it came with an integral thermostatic bypass valve for when the oil is cold. I took it off because it leaked and plan to put it back on someday. It made a big difference in oil pressure on hot days with a clapped out engine.
     I bought the filter from MOSS UK. The guy at LBCarCo picked it up for me on a parts trip to UK and had it shipped over somehow. Good service.
     Before that I had another oil cooler without a thermostatic bypass that went on the bottom of the filter head, but one cold winter day when I tried to start the car it tried to pump thick oil through the cooler and it all split open (the cooler, that is).
     My car runs at 185 F on the hottest day (a 114 day is the record so far!) and I am not really sure if a cooler is needed at this time.
     Good luck and let the list know what you come up with.

     Bill in Tehachapi